Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jetlag...

Well here I am in Russia...almost 3 weeks in...oh and did I mention it's 4:45 am and I've been awake since 3:20 am? Did I also mention this has become a nightly tradition? So, being the science nerd that I am, instead of counting blessings or sheep (or rather...AFTER trying those techniques...epic fail), I decided to google jetlag and read some scientific papers on it. Yes, as you may know, jetlag occurs when you move across time zones (in my case, I'm 11 off from Utah) and it messes with your body's circadian rhythms. While for most people, reading about the physiology of jetlag - hormones and things - would solve the jetlag and put you to sleep, I was fascinated. Therefore, I am still awake and now blogging! Good times. I also learned that it should take you 1 day per time zone to recover. Now I know what you're thinking...hmmm Liz is 11 h off and on day 20 of recovery...something is not adding up...you know what, the same thought crossed my mind. In all honesty, it only took me a week to a week and a half (hmmm about 11 days now that I think about it) to stop being tired during the day, etc. But turns out these early morning parties still occur.
Now the depressing part...in 3 days I make the reverse journey and confuse my circadian rhythms once again! Don't worry though...I came across a simple solution. It has only been tested in mice, but it worked beautifully. So...I just might try it out and write a paper about myself. ;) In order to prevent getting scooped, I won't give you any more details at this time. Wish me luck! And goodnight (hopefully)!

No comments: