Tuesday, January 29, 2013

thank heaven for my fishing licence and manual door locks

What a morning! I needed to renew my driver's licence. I was so proud that I had filled out the application online and made an appointment so it would go smoothly and quickly.

FAIL #1: I walk out my door and realize it has snowed AGAIN and the roads are covered. This isn't really a big deal, except I hadn't planned extra time for this. Result? I am about 20 min late to my appointment after creeping along I-15 trying not to die as my little car slid around.

FAIL #2: I walk into the driver's licence place a little flustered since I hate being late. I walk up to the counter and hand them my application. "Do you have your documents?" ....awkward silence... "Documents?" Yep, turns out there were detailed instructions on the application that I failed to read. This is where I started feeling like the clueless girl that the workers at the counter would roll their eyes and laugh about after I left. Luckily I had most of the necessary documents with me in my purse. "Do you have proof of address?" Hmm...I remembered I checked the mail last night and left it in my car so I told her I'd go check my car quick. (I'm sure she thought I was super incompetent.)  Unfortunately, all the mail was for my roommates.

TENDER MERCY #1: Starting to panic, I check my wallet one more time. I find a reimbursement check with my address on it and my fishing licence that I had forgotten was in there, also containing my address. Relieved, I headed back inside and gave the lady all the necessary documents.

FAIL #3: As she is paper-clipping all my documents together, I start to panic as I realize I am not holding my car keys. I ask the lady if I handed her my car keys. She looked at me like I really was crazy. "No ma'am, I do not have your keys. Do you want to go look for them?" "Yeah, I should probably go look for them...I'll be right back!" I check the snow-filled parking lot along the path I had walked. Nothing. I get back to my car and peek in the window...and there they are! They are sitting nicely on the seat. I try the door. Locked. I try another door. Locked. And another. Locked. I start talking to myself, "It's all good Liz...don't stress...we'll just call roadside assistance...you will laugh about this later!"

TENDER MERCY #2: I try the 4th door...it's unlocked! I am officially so glad I don't have power lock doors! I get my keys and head back inside.

I get my picture taken. I get my temporary licence until my real one arrives. I drive away legal.

FAIL #4: Noooo parking at BYU.

TENDER MERCY #3: Someone pulls out of their spot right as I drive up.

TENDER MERCY #4: As I walk to my lab, I pass a guy with headphones on. He is BELTING out "I've got the magic in me"...you know, the version from Pitch Perfect. Made my day that much better.


So today has left me super grateful for my fishing licence and my little car with no power locks. And people that sing with their headphones on. And life.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

You have such a great attitude. I don't know if I would have done the same. Getting a new license is such a pain... I remember being stressed about having all the correct documents. Anyway... I'm thankful for you and your positive attitude.