Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Liz's 2012

The years seem like they're flying by these days! I can't help but feel a little pensive as we send out the old year and welcome a new one. How will I remember this one?

2012 was a year of science!
I had two papers published this year! I am the first author on both and they will be the first 2/3rds of my dissertation. 


2012 was the year I completed my comprehensive exam for my PhD!
Completing the written portion was probably the most stressful month of my life, and completing the two hour oral portion was probably the best feeling EVER.


2012 was a year of travel!
SEATTLE with Diane to see our dear friends John and Rosemary sealed in the temple!
ST GEORGE and VEGAS with Steph and Kelli for my birthday! This one was a mystery until we were in the car on the way there.
SAN DIEGO with my lab to present at a conference.
BEAR LAKE with William, Mitch, and Alyssa for some intense four-wheeling and jet skiing.
SAN ANTONIO to see Jenny, Jonathan, James, and Ella!! This included a night camping on a beautiful beach...such a sweet visit.
HELSINKI, FINLAND with Mom and Dad! It was my first time out of the US and a wonderful place to see my Papa for the first time in a year (Mom traveled with me since she came home for Grandma's funeral).
A brief but exciting layover in MOSCOW, RUSSIA!
And a fantastic 3 weeks in NOVOSIBIRSK, KRASNOYARSK, TOMSK, and BARNAUL, RUSSIA with my amazing parents! There are no words to describe how incredible this experience was.
And lastly, DISNEYLAND with Steph and Marissa! This one was also a surprise! They didn't tell me where we were going until we were about to enter security at the airport. I am so lucky.


2012 was the year I lost Grandma Glenn.
I'm so grateful I know I will get her back someday!


2012 was the year of Darrell!
I was the lucky girl who got to date this guy and thus catch my first fish, go to my first RSL game, discover the exciting world of podcasts and homemade salsa, and experience all kinds of other adventures.


2012 was the year I became the activities cochair in my ward!
This has been a lot of work, but I have had so much fun and made so many wonderful friends! I've also learned how to feed 150 at a time and how to grill the perfect hot dog.


2012 was a year of some firsts!
First time dying my hair.
First time being a soccer coach.
First time running a half marathon without really training.


2012 was the year I got to team-teach PDBio 120 at BYU!
Loved. Every. Minute.


2012 was the year Annie, Abby, Ryan, and I bonded! A lot.
Holidays, birthdays, random hang-outs, the good times never end. Ron sure is a champ to put up with 3 girls all the time.


2012 was the only entire year I was Josh-less.
Man I miss this guy.


What's coming up in 2013? I will get 2 new nephews. Josh will come home. I will graduate with a PhD. I will get a real grown-up job teaching college (hopefully). I will likely move. Seems kind of intense eh? I guess I'll git 'er done the same way I did 2012, one beautiful day at a time!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


1 comment:

Tracy said...

You have had a great year. It makes me ponder on what my year has been like.