Monday, October 4, 2010

to texas, utah and ukraine!

hello everyone! wasn't it a wonderful conference weekend? My heart was so full during each session. The spirit was powerful . . . I loved the messages about prophets, for we are SO blessed to be guided by living prophets. Because that means we're guided by the Lord...in a very real and living way. That's the light and hope that the world needs. I loved the talk about a consecrated life! I've been trying to consecrate my whole soul to the work these last few weeks. It's not easy...I think the times you're the most determined, Satan tries overtime to make you see your inadequacies. But I also loved the recurring theme of the importance of agency...and the power of it too. I can choose EVERYTHING. I can choose to withstand temptation and Satan can't do anything about it :) I also thought they talked a lot about the evil that's in the world (which is very real) and how we can guard against it (because we can!) There is great peace and freedom that come through obedience. I felt like I was listening to conference as 2 different people hehe. Sister Gibbons gained a lot of great insights about missionary work and Liz gained a lot of great insights about what kind of person I want to be in real life. It's kind of weird because I still feel like I'm going to be a missionary forever and the mission is my life, but occasionally (like during conference) i realize that in a few short weeks i'm going to be a normal person again. It's kind of exciting to realize that i can take all these lessons i've learned and apply them as a visiting teacher, friend, daughter, sister, aunt, student, wife, and mother. I'm excited. I'll be forever grateful that I got to labor in the vineyard with all my heart, might, mind, and strength for this short season of my life. Do whatever you can to prepare for a mission! whether you are Josh and you are about to receive your call, or whether you'll serve one day as senior couples. there is no more important work on the face of the earth. and i was really excited that president monson emphasized that right of the bat on saturday morning! mom and dad, thanks so much for helping us understand the importance of watching every session of conference! even when we didn't always listen intently, but made newspapers instead (haha remember those?), you taught me important lessons that make me who i am today. and thank you for all your sacrifices that allow me to serve now. i thought about you a lot during elder holland's talk. i can't wait to give you a big hug and say thanks :)

okay enough of this sentimental mumbo jumbo :) we had an amazing week!! S. H. has set a baptismal date of october 30th! She was the member referral we had dinner with 2 sundays ago. She is definitely elect :) we had a very spirit-filled lesson with her on Tuesday. we'd planned to invite her to be baptized, but of course everything tried to deter us. Lots of distractions and off topic comments, etc. but sister G was amazing! she bore this powerful testimony that brought the spirit back, and then i invited her (even though she had made several comments about "someday" "i want to keep learning" etc). the spirit was strong and she said yes :) it was amazing to see the powerful missionary sister G has become! just like you said annie, i love seeing the growth in people. S has a 10 yr old daughter that will likely be baptized with her on that day, although we haven't taught her directly, so she'll have a baptismal date soon. So pray for her! she's already experiencing a lot of opposition. I feel there are many more people that we can invite to be baptized before i go home. There is still SO MUCH work to be done! it is exciting.

other big news, we moved out of the H’s home into the A’s! another member family. we have a lot more room so it's really nice. it made for a CRAZY day on Saturday, but it's all done now :) i should've taken pictures but i forgot.

well i'm going to send this off, but i may be on for a little bit more...the other sisters aren't done. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!! thanks for being so good at writing me. after having some companions without family support, i realize how blessed i am. who could ask for a better family? thanks for everything. and don't worry, i'm excited to see you guys!!

sister gibbons

ps - i may be mailing some boxes home...i have WAY Too much stuff. i'm trying to throw some stuff away but it's hard. you accumulate a lot in 18 months!

pps - yes popsy, i'm planning on staying in holladay through the holidays! it'll be so good to be home :)

No comments: