Thursday, November 10, 2011

thoughts

Well i mentioned i was reading "the book thief" right?  well it's day 4 and I'm 208 pages in.  it's amazing.  it has me really emotional. (secret confession...i cried tonight.  i mean that in and of itself is not that much of a surprise because i'm kind of a crier.  but usually if i cry in books it's because of some big obvious event that made me cry.  this time, it was brought on gradually and subtlely [aside - that is a really weird word to spell and i'm still not sure if it's right] and i still can't really put words to why).  my thoughts:

(1) how blessed i am...and how little i know about suffering
(2) the power of love...and how it can be found/created in the darkest circumstances
(3) the power of words...written words...reading those words...wow

i wish i were a gifted writer (like my dad) and could somehow fully express my feelings and thoughts which would then elicit those same feelings in you. but i'm not a gifted writer. so all i can say is, read "the book thief" and then let's talk about it :)

well that's my random blog post for the day. yay for blogs where you can send out random thoughts! ooh that makes me think of a quote from you've got mail. my friend jane and i are slightly obsessed with the movie you've got mail. kathleen kelly says, "i don't really want an answer.  I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void." ditto meg ryan! good night, dear void!

2 comments:

michtay said...

I am so glad you are reading the book thief! I loved that book! We must chat when you are done!

Amy said...

We read this for book club. I cried as well, more than once! And I too was struck by the amount of suffering that people endured and the risks they took for what was right. It doesn't make my 3+ hours a week seem like much, you know?