Sunday, October 30, 2011

Family History

Well Elder Bednar's talk in the most recent General Conference inspired me to try doing family history!! I recently learned to index and have loved doing that, but I decided I should venture deeper in the world of family history.  I logged into new.familysearch.org and started checking out my family tree.  I have an awesome family and most everything is pretty much known for the first branches...but then I got to the 1600's and there were blank spots and I got excited! I started searching familysearch.org to find missing spouses.  I was a little discouraged because I just couldn't find anything.  So decided to try a different one. AND I FOUND HER! Ja. Gow was missing his wife and Margaret Gow was missing a mom...and I found her! I was pretty excited. So I added her on my family tree! As I linked up to her family tree, I discovered like 5 more children we didn't know Ja. Gow had. Pretty sweet. (and then I noticed someone had entered that Janet married a James Gow in the 1800's...since she was born in the 1600's, I was doubtful.  So, I posted a discussion to correct it (since I couldn't delete the link since I didn't add it) and found a cute little button that will email me if anyone responds.  Isn't that awesome! I'm an official family history doer! Who knew it could be so fun? I feel like I am Nancy Drew solving family history mysteries.  (Yes I read every Nancy Drew book ever written when I was young and still own most of them. classic.)  Just wanted to share my intense excitement with the world!!

No comments: