Wednesday, October 22, 2008

return to the game...

So it's official, I've returned to the game of soccer after an 11 year absence! (at least it was around that time . . . ) The last time I was on an official soccer team, we were the POISON IVY and I think we won 1 game total haha. I always played defender because "I was good at it" as the coach said. I always knew that it was just because I didn't have it in me to be a forward haha. Highlights from the Poison Ivy include:

*Being on the team with 2 of my best friends, Michelle and Lori. We carpooled together so it was awesome. I seem to remember an inside joke about seeing large spoons in somebody's yard?? yeah hopefully they remember that or I'll feel pretty stupid . . .
*Nobody on the team knew my name I don't think. They all called me Tiny instead! I can still hear the cries . . . "pass it to Tiny! pass it to Tiny!"

So my new team is an intramural soccer team thanks to my good friend Janelle for letting me join! We are "Team Awesome" for obvious reasons, and all the girls on the team are super nice and WAY better at soccer than I am. I'm just so grateful they're letting me cramp their style since I am always looking for fun things to occupy my time these days. Highlights from last night's game include:

*We won! 2-1. (no i did not score a goal...real shocker I know)
*My most embarrassing moment of the decade... yeah after we scored they were taking it to half field. In a moment of stupidity I forgot we had just scored, wondered why no one was kicking the ball, and ran up and gave it a good kick! Then I hear the referee blowing a whistle and a girl on the other team saying "hey you can't do that!" and I realized what was going on. Haha those poor girls on my team. Ah the embarrassment, I can't believe I'm putting this moment up on the internet. Oh well, hopefully it gives y'all a good laugh. Let's just say I won't be doing that again.
*The nice girls who told me I did a good job! I think they were just being nice, but hey at least they were still talking to me :)

Well I wish I had pictures to post...blog seems boring without them. I'll have to take some. Anyway I must say that soccer is way fun! I'm glad I returned to the game...and hopefully I improve as the season goes on...

2 comments:

Jenny Bay said...

Wow I didn't know you liked soccer! Well, of course I knew that you USED to play :) That is so fun! When I was at BYU I played on an intramural basketball team with my roommates and some girls in my ward - our team was the Sugar Frosted Lemon Bars (almost as cool as "Team Awesome") - and it was way fun! Good for you, that is cool!

Oh and your blog looks so cute, by the way!

Love you!

Unknown said...

Liz that is so funny!!! I love it and I am so glad that you started a post!